The Detroit Red Wings (3-8-0) host the St. Louis Blues (5-3-3) at Little Caesars Arena Sunday. The puck is scheduled to drop at 5:00 p.m. ET. In this one, we analyze the Red Wings-Blues odds and lines, while offering NHL betting picks and tips.
Blues at Red Wings: Expected starting goalies
Jake Allen vs. Jimmy Howard
Allen has split his two starts this season, but is allowing 4.17 GAA and has only a .849 SV% in 115 minutes of play. Allen was 0-1 vs. Detroit last year, allowing four goals.
Howard was 1-0 vs. St. Louis last year, allowing three goals. He’s 1-5 overall this season, allowing 3.59 GAA with a .901 SV% in six starts. Howie has allowed no less than two goals in every game this season, including getting lit-up for at least four goals in three consecutive games previous to Friday’s loss to the Sabres.
Blues at Red Wings: By the numbers
Bet on this hockey action or other games at BetMGM. New customers get a RISK-FREE BET (up to $500; paid in free bets)!
- The Blues are on the backside of a back-to-back road series. They faced the Boston Bruins last night and were shutout in a 3-0 loss.
- Detroit was shutout on home ice by the Buffalo Sabres 2-0 Friday evening. Despite putting 41 shots on net, the Wings lost their seventh straight contest.
- Against the spread (ATS), the Red Wings are 1-4 at home this year and 4-7 overall.
- The Blues are 2-3 ATS on the road, while 4-7 overall.
- St. Louis is averaging 2.9 goals per game while allowing 3.2 per game.
- The Red Wings average 2.1 goals per game and allow 3.6 per game. Detroit hasn’t scored more than two goals in a game since Oct. 10th.
Blues at Red Wings: Key injuries
Blues RW Vladimir Tarasenko (upper body) won’t play for a second consecutive game.
Blues at Red Wings: Odds, picks and betting tips
Moneyline : Streaks have to end at some point, but the Red Wings (+125) don’t have much talent behind their first-line and are in a scoring funk without the defense/goaltending to survive. The BLUES (-154) are the play, as they look to rebound from yesterday’s shutout.
New to sports betting? A $10 bet on St. Louis returns an $6.49 profit with a victory over Detroit.
Line : The Red Wings have lost by at least two goals in their last three games. While I generally don’t like betting the volatile puckline, there’s better value to be had on the BLUES (-1.5, +180). Here, a $10 wager returns $18 profit should the Blues win by two goals or more.
Over/under : With the O/U at 5.5, I’m digging the UNDER (+105) as the play. The Blues are without Tarasenko and likely a bit tired, while the Wings have trouble putting the puck in the net.
Ryan’s NHL Picks: 3-3
Gannett may earn revenue from audience referrals to betting services. Newsrooms are independent of this relationship and there is no influence on news coverage.